After 3 literary posts I decided to explore my cooking expertise. I wanted to post a “sweet” recipe but ended up with this “Rasam” as "ரசம் இல்லாமல் வாழ்வில் ரசம் இல்லை."
· Tuvar dhal-3 tsp
· Whole dhania-1 ½ tsp
· Pepper corns-1 tsp
· Jeera- 1tsp
· Red chillies-2
Pressure cook the above mentioned ingredients & grind to a smooth paste.
· Turmeric powder=1/2 tsp
· Asafoetida- a few pinches/according to taste
· Tamarind-size of medium sized lemon
· Tomato-1 ripe
· Salt to taste
· Ghee-1 tsp
· Mustard-1 tsp
· Jeera-1/2 tsp
· Curry leaves- a few
· Dhania leaves- a few
· Soak tamarind in water & extract. Mix with water to make 2 cups.
· Chop tomatoes finely & add them to the tamarind water. Add asafoetida, salt & turmeric powder & allow it to boil.
· Once the raw taste & smell of tamarind disappears, add the ground paste. Dilute the rasam according to taste.
· Once the rasam froths up remove from fire.
· Garnish with curry & dhania leaves.
· Heat ghee. Splutter mustard seeds & jeera.
· Add the same to the rasam.
· The rasam is now ready.
Rasam can be served with hot rice & any curry of your choice.The given quantity can serve up to 3 persons.